To facilitate a process for public awareness and planning for low carbon economy development in small cities and towns in China. After two-year research, this study will develop a proposed low carbon indicator system and recommendations for public engagement and development planning, to provide guidance for future low carbon economy advancement in China.
- Compare the current levels of knowledge, understanding, and attitude on low carbon economies in Fuding and Zherong to the level of low carbon pilot cities in China
- Understand how low-carbon development can be made more acceptable to affected communities and become more sustainable
- Research and compare the major sectors’ carbon emissions in Fuding and Zherong and these sectors’ capacities to reduce emissions
- Determine what the short and long term goals regarding emissions reductions are for Fuding and Zherong
- Establish a low-carbon emission target and a supporting indicator system that effectively and accurately evaluates the low carbon development process, and determine how to apply this system to developed cities such as Fuding and underdeveloped cities such as Zherong
To explore the future linkage between global emissions trading and the Chinese Carbon Market and analyze the international forest carbon sinks trading market and forest carbon sinks projects to provide case studies for the development of Chinese forest carbon sinks.
- Determine how emissions rights trading and forest carbon sink trading operate by exploring main concerns and problems in completing trading mechanisms found in Europe, North America, and China
- Explore the linkages that exist between emissions rights trading and forest carbon sink trading
- Establish the operation of the Chinese national emissions trading and forest carbon trading mechanism and how it compares to other countries
- Analyze the feasibility of linking the Chinese carbon trading market to other countries around the world
- Investigate to improve the future emissions trading and forest carbon sink trading markets in China